Spring Market: 4 Neighbourhoods to Watch
As the spring real estate market in Ottawa heats up, here are some neighbourhoods that will certainly be of interest to home buyers. Each of these communities has something unique and different to offer so there is something for everyone. No matter what community you are looking at, don’t forget to hire a Realtor® to help you find your dream home (and make sure that you get it for the right price!)
Bells Corners – Re-imagining an older neighbourhood
With the opening of the Department of National Defense Headquarters at Carling Avenue and Moodie Drive, Bells Corners is seeing unprecedented growth with many DND employees choosing to live, lunch or shop in the area. This growth has even had the Bells Corners BIA executive director declaring that the area is “the next Westboro”. Housing in the area has also been on the rise. There is a 2000-unit housing development in the works off of Robertson Road and property values are seeing slow and steady growth making right now a great time to invest!
Bells Corners’ Hidden Gems:
- This is Healthful – Live a healthy lifestyle with your team to support you. This new business features massage therapy, physiotherapy, nutrition counselling, exercise services, psychotherapy and more!
- Duna Bistro – Hailed as having the best schnitzel around, you don’t want to miss this European Cuisines restaurant located in the heart of Bells Corners!
- Zellers – One of the only Zellers stores left in existence, this location functions as an outlet for the Hudson’s Bay Company. Check back regularly for an amazing deal on furniture and clothing.
Riverside South – New neighbourhood with great community
With the first homes in the community being built in 1996, Riverside South has seen extensive housing development over the last 20 years and it doesn’t show any sign of slowing down. In 2014, the Vimy Memorial Bridge opened and connected this fast growing community to Barrhaven; a quick drive across the bridge takes you to all the amenities of this larger suburb. But certainly, the most exciting news for Riverside South in recent years has been the announcement that the LRT Phase 2 that will see 2 stations right in the community and will make this area an even more sought after bedroom community for commuters heading downtown.
Riverside South’s Hidden Gems:
- Zizi’s Kitchen and Wine Bar – An Italian restaurant has something for everyone including pizza, tapas, and a wide selection of wines.
- Pretty Handsome – A kid’s hair salon and spa like none other! With a focus on fun and natural hair products, the kids will love this place.
- DanceRoots – a dance school promising a new perspective on dance education and training. Classes include ballet, jazz, tap, hip-hop, acro, contemporary, and a Glee Club.
Richmond – Rural living with all the conveniences
Recently named by the Ottawa Business Journal as one of the top 20 hottest neighbourhoods for real estate growth, this area has seen an average price increase of 30.73% in the last 5 years. The Village of Richmond was founded in 1818 and is rich in history featuring many historical buildings. It is an active community with lots of recreational sports, small businesses, and plenty of green space. If you are looking for a small town feel but want to be close to the big city amenities, Richmond is a short drive to Kanata and Barrhaven but if you move out there, you may never want to leave.
Richmond’s Hidden Gems:
- Royals Restaurant – a popular restaurant that has been around for more than 35 years, Royals is a hot spot for breakfast in the area. They also have interesting lunch and dinner menus.
- Christopher’s Meat Market – a local butcher with over 25 years of experience to serve your needs. This small shop features a variety of grain fed and free range meat.
- The Country Quilter – a quilting store that hosts a variety of classes, workshops, and events. They have a busy calendar so make sure to check back frequently.
Carlington – Affordable central living
Located just a stone’s throw away from the pricey neighbourhoods of Island Park, Civic Hospital, and Westboro, Carlington has similar charm but is far more affordable. Also ranked by the Ottawa Business Journal as one of the 20 hottest neighbourhoods, Carlington has seen the average house price rise by just over 25% in the last 5 years. The area features lots of older homes and also new construction taking the place of smaller war-time homes on larger lots. With the Westgate development on the way, Carlington should see extensive growth in the near future!
Carlington’s Hidden Gems:
- Bowman’s Bar and Grill – a restaurant self-proclaimed as “your neighbourhood restaurant with a great selection of familiar foods done well”.
- Raven Street Studios – a recording complex with a long history of amazing musicians have passed through their doors: Avril Lavigne, Burton Cummings and Randy Bachman, and Snoop Dogg, to name a few!
- House of Lasagna – an authentic Italian eatery known for its lasagna and pizza! You can eat in, take out, or have it delivered.
If you have any questions about any of these communities, or you would like to be notified when properties become available for sale in these or other areas of interest, we would love to hear from you! Make sure to check back in the upcoming months as we feature more great communities in and around Ottawa! Contact us anytime!
This article was first published on https://www.teamrealty.ca.